Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Ealiyah

My Spring Community
by Ealiyah Henry


I live in a calm neighborhood where most people just mind their business and then there are others who seem to be very friendly. When I first moved to the area, my family and I were greeted generously and welcomed to the neighborhood. As the first couple of years went by we grew a relationship with the nearby neighbors, speaking on a daily basis.
In the beginning, it was mostly my parents having talks with the neighbors, which would mainly consist of the meetings that my parents are too busy to attend. Then the conversation would move to events or situations that currently happened in the community like a robbery or a football game that Claughton Middle School had down the street. As everyone became more comfortable with each other, topics became more personal, which is why I believe my sisters and I were known by the neighbors.
The neighborhood became more like a family, or rather the street I live on became that way. We all watch out for each other’s homes while away at work or on vacation and even take care of others dogs if need be. I now have my own conversations with the neighbors who always give me wise advice or motivation to get through difficult obstacles.
One neighbor in particular, Mr. Thomas, has an older daughter that graduated with a doctorate degree and is working in the medical industry. Because I’m working towards becoming a vet, both Mr. Thomas and his daughter express all the struggles that I may face and inspire me to not let the stress overcome me. The positivity encourages me to motivate others as well as myself when it comes to hard times.
Out of the four of my mother’s children, I am the youngest and may be the first of all my sisters to finish college. Although my sisters as well as my mother attended college but didn’t finish, they are my main motivation and reason I am in college now. I plan on graduating Tuskegee University with a doctorate degree of veterinary medicine and with the help of my community I believe that I will achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment