Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Jennifer G.

Living in Aldine
by Jennifer Guevara
MacArthur High School

I have been living in the Aldine Community for five years now. I still remember the first day I arrived in Aldine on July 16, 2013, at night 10:00 pm. Everything was so strange and the streets looked so lonely and they still look lonely. I remember that I was so frustrated because I could not go out like I did in Mexico.

The days passed and I found myself lonely and homesick because all my family stayed back in Mexico. I remember that I used to cry every night because I really missed my mom and brothers; I still cry sometimes. The days seemed so long and then my birthday came and I really did not want to celebrate my 16th birthday because it was the first time that my mom would not wake me up singing to me Las Mananitas.

On August 24th, 2013, I attended my first day of high school, which was terrifying because I didn’t speak the language. I remember that I did not know what classroom I had to go to, and I did not know how to ask anything, but I found a math teacher and he helped out. The months were passing and I got used to the school and to the language, but I still was thinking that I wanted to go back to Mexico. In that same year I always thought that I would not be able to go any further and I wanted to give up, but luckily I have a mom who supports me in everything, she was always cheering me up.

My sophomore year was not that bad; I was happy because I could understand the language a lot more and I was more confident in myself. I also had this amazing English teacher. Ms. Lanczos was always willing to help me and for that reason she became so important to me. 

My Junior year was amazing because I stopped taking ESL classes, which meant that I was able to communicates with others in English, also I made to the honor roll for all A’s and B’s. My senior year was memorable because I was a few steps away from becoming the first generation in my family and that made me so proud.  I worked so hard for graduation day because I only wanted to make my mom proud of me. I remember that when I walked to the stage on graduation day, I thought that my mother was there cheering for my and screaming so loud.

Now with hard work and dedication I am attending Lone Star College, which made my family extra proud because, like I said, I’m first generation. My mom always tells me, “Échale ganas a la escuela y seas una mujer de bien y no tengas que trabajar bajo al sol como yo lo hice.” Those words mean a lot to me because every time I remember that I work harder and harder to make her proud because she is my everything in this universe.     

No comments:

Post a Comment