Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Kansteiner

Becoming a Teacher in Texas
by Kansteiner Madison


Texas needs teachers, and because of my love of children and being able to help people grow, I have decided to answer the call of my community. Humble ISD is the district I hope to teach in, and they are at a major shortage of teachers with the rapidly growing community. I am currently tracking to the University of Houston where I will become better prepared to teach and lead students to their success.

I am currently working at Kids R Kids of Lakeshore, primarily with the after-school program, to gain experience and build my resume. I will not be able to teach in a district until I have obtained at least my bachelor’s degree which will take me 4 years, and received TEA certification in the state of Texas to teach. I plan to continue to work at Kids R Kids until I receive my certification and I am hired at a school so that I can continue building my experience and help my community and their kids.

Teaching is such a big part of my family’s dynamic. I really discerned that I wanted to be a teacher at my grandmother’s funeral when I spoke up about trying to decide between teaching and Music Therapy (my major at the time), and so many family members talked about their personal experiences and my grandmother’s experiences. Needless to say, my family is very happy that I am following in my grandmother’s footsteps, like so many of my aunts and uncles and cousins have.

I want to teach elementary kids because they are such a joy to work with and are so moldable. I want to be there in some of the most crucial developmental times in a person’s life, and I want to be able to guide them and help them achieve their fullest potential. Socially and mentally, elementary is such an important part of a child’s development and I strive to be the teacher that my students will think back and say “wow, she really made a difference in my life”.

My kids in my class at Kids R Kids are so bright and even though they can be a pain in the rear sometimes, they remind me every day why I am striving to be a teacher. Despite the fits and crying and disrespect that I deal with on a daily basis (as most teachers do), I am always so happy to come into work the next day and interact with my kids and help them with homework or social issues. I am honestly so excited to become a teacher one day so that I can be able to see a child grow intellectually with my aide, and just be there for them for anything they might need.





No comments:

Post a Comment