Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Christopher

Homestead (Houston), Texas
by Christopher Franklin


I live in Homestead near Little York Road, north of Houston, where I was born and raised and where my parents were raised, too, where everyone grows up together. I graduated from Summer Creek High School – where my parents and mostly everyone else in my community graduated from high school. But I'm the only one who was able to go to college right after high school in my community.

Homestead is actually in the city limits of Houston, Texas. I'm a college student at Lone Star College at North Harris, about 30 minutes away. After I graduate from Lone Star College in May, 2019 with a Associate of Arts degree, I will transfer to Stephen F. Austin State University to get my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.  

Everyone in my community knows one another because we are all like family and show love towards each other and respect each other property and everyone in my community knows my future plans and support my every move. My community is not the best looking community compared to other communities that may be located in Houston. As a community, we have issues that we want fixed, but no one has the confident to speak up about the issues such as pot holes and street lights not working.

As a college student, I still face obstacles such as procrastinating and time management. But due to the resources I have to use to help me and due to the support of my community it shows how they really validate my mission and dreams. This and keeps pushing to do more and to help fight to better my community.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Christopher is a current student in Professor Bruce Martin's writing course.

No comments:

Post a Comment