Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Brian

My Astrophysics - From Humble to the Stars
by Brian Jimenez


This is the first time I officially made my parents proud and I knew it. I could tell by the way they treated me the whole day of my graduation.  It was the best day of my life, and it was a memorable one for them.

The complete goal my parents want me to accomplish is moving out the community that we are currently in. We live in the Humble area, which is not that bad, but I don’t want to go outside walking my dog and seeing people fighting, being loud, and feeling insecure about life because of the people there. My parents want to see me succeed in life and they do not want me to live in conditions like that.

My mother wants me to go to school, and here I am. My community is filled with
organic intellectuals. So, when I met with some neighbors, the most education they really got is maybe an associate’s degree. They are all basically on manual-work jobs that require hard exhausting labor, but the pay is good.

I know that it will be hard to be an
astrophysicist. But when someone asks me where I come from, and I say Humble, they are going to be surprised because many people only hear bad stuff about Humble. When they know a Humble-guy with a PhD, I am going to flip the script.

I know what my parents mean every time they tell me to go to school for a better living. Like my dad always told me, “Mijo, ojala agarres un trabajo donde te paguen mas que a mi.” I will make sure I take him in a good community, here or in Mexico, where they pay me more than they pay him, so he can be proud.
   

___________________________________________________________________________________
Brian is a current student in Professor Bruce Martin's writing class.



No comments:

Post a Comment