Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Jairo

Porter, Texas
by Jairo Rivera



Porter is a small town on the outskirts of Houston, which is one of the biggest cities in America. I have a lot of people that support me and helped influence what I have set my goal as. The community as well helped me want to become a civil engineer.

The community of Porter is very important to me because I have basically lived in Porter my whole life so I am so used to the way of living in that area. It is in the middle of wanting to be country and also has suburban areas it is basically a mixture of both. We have people that live in the suburbs and others that own 10 acres so Porter has basically everything.

I look at all around where I have grown up and I see old building, dirt roads, and broken-down bridges in Porter. I would just look at all the stuff I have around me and think I want to make a difference, that’s why it came to me if I become a civil engineer I can help out with everything. The setting was very helpful in what I set my goal to.

The school I am zoned to is Porter High School, a pretty big school and it is considered 5A. The school program made me choose what I have choose a career path in what I have in mind to study for and they put I in courses that follow that curriculum. I didn’t want to believe this but my high school helped me get ahead with my civil engineering decision.

Porter’s community may be a lot different from what people are used too. Regardless of what is thought of it I consider this community my home which it is. These are the reasons why the community is important to me and how it has influenced the decision I have made in becoming a civil engineer.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Jairo is currently a student in Professor Bruce Martin's writing course.

No comments:

Post a Comment