Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Daniel

A Better Place: Home
by Daniel Honesto Zavala


I was born in Irapuato, Guanajuato Mexico, and I lived there till I was four years old. When I first came to the United States, I had no idea that my life was about to change. I first was in Mission, TX which is nothing compared to the city I am in right now -  Houston; it is my home now and I plan on staying here to make a better life.

Houston has given me many opportunities to meet such great intellectuals and also it has given me the opportunity to make myself a better me. In High School, I had met many people who actually I look up to, they are organic intellectuals, and the organization I joined helped me see into my future. I have dedicated my time to focusing on doing what is best for my community and to actually become an organic intellectual myself.

Even through my middle school year, I was lucky enough to have such a wonderful soccer … and football  … and cross country … and track and field coach who believed and still believes I will become someone. I can still remember the words he told me a day before a football game: “Daniel I will make you the best running back out there,” which he did, but it was my decision to stop playing that beautiful sport due to getting injured my sophomore year in high school. I still look back to my past and think of the better things I could had done, now it’s the present and I should be grateful of having the opportunity to actually be in such a great city which can offer me many chances to better myself and succeed in life, alongside my karate instructor also gave me the opportunity to actually participate in a National Karate Tournament hosted in Las Vegas, Nevada.

High school wasn’t just about work, it was also about building friendships which I acquired throughout my High School years. I wasn’t quite sociable but I could easily get along with anyone by getting to know them. I attended The Heights High School and I could say it was one of the best and worst years of my life, but now I attend Lone Star college and it is time for me to make that transition to move on, but also keep those friendship I have acquired.

This is the life I have ahead of myself and I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am without these people in my life, to me they are the actual organic intellectuals that shape the community around me. I know there might be many challenges ahead of me, not only because I am not a US citizen but look at what I have accomplished, not many people can say that I am a well-organized put man but I can show them that they are mistaken. Now that I am here I plan to make a difference in the world and America will be a great spot to start.



No comments:

Post a Comment