Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Adela

I Was Kindapped to the United States
by Adela Legorreta
My mom and me, in Mexico

Coming to the United was not my choice. I was kidnapped by my dad’s family. I was ripped away from my loving grandma and my beautiful country at the age of three. I am a DACA recipient, and although I did not choose to come to this country, I am grateful for a better life and the opportunities I now have.
In my early years I did not remember that I was kidnapped. I had flashbacks of being ripped away from my grandma and nothing seemed to make sense. I overwhelmed my mom with questions about my abuela. My mom told me that the reason I was no longer with my abuela was because I was kidnapped by my aunt.
She told me that after she found out I was taken by my aunt to the United States, her first instinct as a mother was to go look for me without thinking twice about everything she was going to face. My mother spent months just trying to get to the United States. I cannot imagine what my mom had to go through just to get to me. I thank God she never gave up.
Coming to the Unites States was not my decision, nor my mother's. My mom mentioned that before we lived with my great grandma we were happy and did not need help financially. I did not know my dad’s part of the family. I was a scarred child surrounded by strangers and could not stop crying. I searched for my mom to find protection and feel safe in her arms.
Leaving behind my lovely grandma hurt me the most. To this day I wished I had just one last day with her, but I know she rests in a better place. My parents tried for years to maintain this family together, but the pain between was too hard to forget the past. My mom and I worry of being deported and this place we now call home to be taken away again by choices we were unable to control. Despite our situation we are grateful to God for all that he has done in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment