Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Students Write - Prof. Martin's Class: Cindy P

School District to School District
by Cindy Perez
My family, at my nephew's birthday

Many people think living in a diverse community is a positive thing, but it also has its negative effects. Depending on how the community is structured, that’s how it's reflected on the school districts. Throughout my journey from attending Spring ISD and then transferring to Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, it has taught me how to have a social balance and be a safer impact towards my community in the Imperial Valley Drive area.
During the Salvadoran Civil War, my parents migrated from El Salvador to the United States, running away of the violence that was occurring around that time between the government and the people. At the age of 4 my family and I moved into our new home. Throughout the transition of moving into our new home my parents decided to get a divorce and my brother had to take the role as “el hombre de la casa.”
When we first moved into Imperial Valley, the district Spring ISD was a good district. Eventually, minority being influenced by the crime of gang activity and drug dealing occurring, influenced the younger generation to do the same thing. Therefore, crime rate increased, and the school district is reflecting on those negative influences.
I went from Spring ISD to Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, and at first, I felt out of place attending here, because I came from a more diverse district to a district that the population was majority white. Bley Middle School teachers seemed to be more involved with the students intellectually, where Bammel Middle School teachers seemed to just show up just to be able to receive their paycheck. The schools I attended in Cypress-Fairbanks ISD has taught me the importance of becoming more intellectually, the communication between a teacher and a student, and to reach out for my goals.
Sometimes community prevents you from being involved due to violence. Different communities can bring negative and positive effects among each other. As I experienced my migration from one district to another it has helped me strive to be better myself as an intellectual by providing a guide based on my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment